Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mushroom Chicken and Sausage Casserole

Okay, so maybe I didn't honor my hiatus. So sue me! I tried to stay away from blogging and just couldn't! I got a new blog, so I'm starting all over! I've imported my old posts but have redesigned the blog. I'm still on track with my CCNA studying so don't worry :) What I really want to start blogging about is our low carb diet. I know it sounds boring, but the food we've been eating is SOOOO good! I couldn't be selfish and keep it to ourselves; I want to share it with everyone. Last night's dinner was "Mushroom Chicken and Sausage Casserole". Yummy! it got 4 out of 5 stars from the both of us. 




I forgot to take a picture of the prepared plates, so all you get is this half eaten pan... The recipe says it has 8-12 servings, but realistically, it would provide between 5 and 7 plates. When something's this good, who wants to eat only a tiny serving? I served steamed broccoli on the side. YUM!

3-4 cups diced cooked chicken *I used 10 small boneless skinless chicken thighs (two packets of the fridge to freezer packs from costco)*
1 pound pork sausage *I used Pork & Beef Kielbasa and sliced it*
1 stalk celery, chopped fine *I didn't use any celery*
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces cream cheese, softened 

16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded *definitely going to add more next time*
Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Paprika, optional *didn't use*





Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all of the ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika. Bake, covered with foil, at 350ยบ for about 30 minutes *I did 25 minutes*. Uncover and bake until hot and bubbly and the top is lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes *I did 10 minutes*.




This easily feeds a family and If you're not going low carb, I can see this mixed with a penne pasta to feed even more people. That sounds sooo good - wish I could eat pasta!



Linking to:
Katie's Cucina

No comments:

Post a Comment