Monday, March 21, 2011

In Loving Memory

People have more of an impact on people's lives than they know. This is in remembrance of someone who I crossed paths with way back in junior high and probably had no idea that I would always remember her. I was a very quiet kid (emphasis on the very). I had my friends, but I didn't make new friends - ever. Most people just ignored me and let me be, and I was more than fine with that. This story starts in 1997 in Ms. Boyd's sixth grade Reading class. I got transferred into the class a few days into the school year and got seated at a table with 3 other people. I don't remember who 2 of the people were, but the third was Melissa Mercer. I went about my way of quietness and ignoring everyone around me, but she made a point to talk to me. She talked to me every day in that class. She didn't fall into my quiet trap and start ignoring me. No matter how untalkative I remained, she still continued talking to me. I started missing her on the days she wasn't there. Then the school year ended. We never had another class together again. She never knew what her kindness and friendship meant to me. Throughout the rest of junior high, I made a point to say hi to her in the halls. It was the only way I knew to how to thank her for her kindness. Then we went on to high school. I went to a fairly large school, but it's surprising that I never had a class with her or that I very rarely saw her in the halls. The few times I did see her, I gave her my shy little wave and half smile. I doubt she remembered who I was but she always waved and beamed a smile back. There are not enough people like her in the world, and sadly (and the reason I'm crying as I write this) she was taken from this world our junior year of high school. I think about her quite often. I cry for her. I cry for her family. I cry for her friends.  I just wish she knew what impact she had on me. I hope I have had or will have that kind of impact on someone else's life. In loving memory of Missy <3

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure she remembered you. I remember when I first got to know her in dance class at JV, she knew me as "Kimra's sister" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm sure she remembered you. She obviously had a sweet spirit and it's sad that she was taken so young. It's strange how people come into our lives for a short period and can leave such a strong mark on us. Very nice post and her family would probably love to read it.

    ReplyDelete